[Shop-talk] Garage ventilation?

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Tue Jul 17 13:05:35 MDT 2007

> One of the best things I ever did in the home improvement mode was to
> install a "whole house attic fan".

Violent agreement over here. Except that we didn't put in such
a violent fan :-)

There are a lot of designs on the market. Most of them are designed
to move a lot of air to vent very large houses. We have a 1400 sq ft
house, so pretty much everything out there is overkill.

We ended up going with this:

	http://www.wholehousefan.com/hv-1000.html

We have it on a spring timer, and play games with windows and doors
to cool various parts of the house. It works great. We didn't have
to add any extra attic venting to accomodate it, though I'm planning to
put a small vent in the roof over the kitchen, which was added and has
no in its "skin".

It's designed to be easy to install on either 16" or 24" OC joists.
Unfortunately, our old ceiling joists are 12" OC, and the "right place"
for installation was exactly the raceway for the remaining knob&tube
wiring :-)

Put one of these in your garage ceiling, and add a gable vent in
the attic if you need one.