[Shop-talk] Weedwacker starting problem

PJ McGarvey pj_mcgarvey at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 22 15:04:23 MDT 2007

Craftsman 17" 21cc weedwacker, working fine (except for a broken pull-start
rope this Spring) for about 6 years.  Right after I filled the tank with some
more gas/oil mixture (of questionable age) it decided to not start.  Finally
got around to emptying the tank and cleaning out the lines with some
compressed air, and pulling apart where the priming bubble is, and using some
carb cleaner on it, it would then start pretty quickly but would quit just as
quick.  This happened about 5 times before I gave up on it.  Kinda weird.
Maybe the plug needs replacement?

That, or I guess I'm looking at pulling apart the motor completely to rebuild
it or at least give it a good cleaning.  The gas/oil mix that I added was no
older than what was in the tank (but was older than one season at least)

Any other suggestions, like running some carb cleaner through the engine
somehow, or good parts to replace on it while I have it apart?

Thanks,
PJ