[Shop-talk] Getting dog smell out of car?

wmc_st at xxiii.com wmc_st at xxiii.com
Tue Jul 24 10:03:37 MDT 2007

At 11:26 AM 7/24/2007, you wrote:
>This will sound dumb, but how do you shampoo the carpets/seats (yes,
>cloth)?  Rent one of those rug washer dealys from the grocery store?

I've had very good results with the "Rug Doctor" ones available at
Lowes or the grocery;  at least on regular interior (of the house)
carpeting.  They have an upholstery nozzle you can get for a few
extra $$, but I've not tried it personally.  They also have an odor
remover additive that worked well on the cigarette stench my former
roommate left me with.

Be careful with Febreeze.  I used it on some indoor carpeting
recently, and it stinks worse than before!  I started in a bedroom
with lingering dog odor from some guest's pets.  It seemed to help,
and left the carpet closer to "odor neutral".  So I figured if a
little was good a lot must be better, and did a 2nd bedroom, hallway
area rug, and office chair with a heavier application than the first
room.  BWARF!  2 weeks later there is still a lingering chemical /
perfume smell that's much worse a little dawg.  Use the stuff
sparingly, and perhaps only on a small area first.

   -Wayne