[Shop-talk] Caulking large gap

Jim Franklin jamesf at groupwbench.org
Sat Dec 6 10:35:38 MST 2008

I cut the bottom course of tiles too short and now have a 3/4" gap
between them and the tub. The backerboard is also trimmed a bit high
so I can't cement thin slices of tile in there. I think it would look
hideous with the gap filled with caulk, even if it was applied neatly.
Anything to remedy this? I suppose I could lay down a spacer, then
fill the gap with mortar all the way to the tub flange and put thin
tile slices into that, then caulk the smaller gap where the spacer
was, but mentally I was done with the mortar and don't really want to
start that up again. Plus it would announce the screw-up moreso than
caulk :-)

thanks,
jim