[Shop-talk] Caulking large gap

Pat Pat at HorneSystemsTx.com
Sat Dec 6 18:40:53 MST 2008

If it isn't too late, pull out the bottom row of tile and then find some
accent tiles in a contrasting color that are about 1/2" high, and
however wide they come. Install them, then put in the bottom row of
tile. The space between the bottom row of tile and the tub should never
be grouted, but caulked. Grout will crack out over time.

If you have already installed the bottom row of tile you can always
break it out and replace them.

Good luck.
Pat

Thusly spake Jim Franklin:
> I cut the bottom course of tiles too short and now have a 3/4" gap
> between them and the tub. The backerboard is also trimmed a bit high
> so I can't cement thin slices of tile in there. I think it would look
> hideous with the gap filled with caulk, even if it was applied neatly.
> Anything to remedy this? I suppose I could lay down a spacer, then
> fill the gap with mortar all the way to the tub flange and put thin
> tile slices into that, then caulk the smaller gap where the spacer
> was, but mentally I was done with the mortar and don't really want to
> start that up again. Plus it would announce the screw-up moreso than
> caulk :-)
>
> thanks,
> jim
>
> http://www.team.net/archive

Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems	(512) 797-7501
5026 FM 2001 Lockhart, TX 78644-4443
Pat at HorneSystemsTx.com	www.hornesystemstx.com