[Shop-talk] Load bearing walls

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Dec 21 17:22:24 MST 2008

> So, does this sound like something that requires a structural
> engineer and needs to be done by a professional, or could I
> do it myself?

Personally, I'd just do it.  As Pat says, the new header should be a bit
beefier and it wouldn't hurt to have more support on each side than you do
now.  OTOH, you're only widening the span by about 15% per side so unless it
already seems weak, I'd guess the floor will carry the load.  The total
force on the floor will presumably remain the same, it's just a bit more
concentrated at the supports (but the additional support will help spread
it).

But I'm certainly no expert, so if it goes wrong, don't blame me!

Randall