[Shop-talk] hand tool recommendations that don't break the bank

Mark Andy mark at sccaprepared.com
Tue Mar 4 20:42:07 MST 2008

Howdy,

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Eric J Russell wrote:
> For a tool that I will only use rarely, H-F is often adequate.
>
> For a tool that will get occasional or frequent use, better quality is a
> worthwhile investment.

I've found there to be a whole range of stuff at HF... For instance, this
is one of the better "regular" ratchets I've ever used:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=94586&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

... and I've used lots of craftsman, snap-on, mac, etc. stuff.

> I do often use a Stanley "6 in 1" screwdriver (and I keep one each
> vehicle). It has a large & small flat blade, a large & small phillips,
> plus two sizes of hex drive (1/4" & 5/16" I think). Its only draw back
> is for situations where you need to reach down into a small access hole
> - the shank is larger in diameter than a standard screwdriver.

I've got a bunch of those too, but I don't really like them for work on a
car.  Half because the shaft is bigger and sometimes doesn't fit and half
because its about guaranteed that it'll come apart when I'm contorted in
some weird position.

Mark