[Shop-talk] Garage attic sealing

Phil Nase nases at verizon.net
Mon Oct 6 12:29:22 MDT 2008

My garage has a full attic above it accessed by a wooden staircase.
The opening in the attic floor is 7'6" long and about 47" wide.
Because the steps aren't the same width as the opening I have a
railing which interferes with any attempt to close the hole in winter.

My attic is not insulated but the garage below is.  I have a small
electric heater to take the chill off when I am working on my cars.

In the past I have laid some foil backed sheathing over the hole but I
have never found a permanent solution.  I should insulate up there but
I really don't need to heat it.

Any ideas for fitting a more permanent door for insulation?

Phil Nase
Quakertown, PA
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa/