[Shop-talk] mower engine issue

Donald H Locker dhlocker at comcast.net
Wed Aug 26 04:54:22 MDT 2009

It's that complex because it's application is supposed to be a constant-speed application; as are also generators, welders, pumps, and most applications for small engines, for that matter.  Engines are rated for power and life at a specific speed; faster than that and life goes down, slower and power is down.  The governor tries to get you the best from both worlds.  For variable speed applications (driving vehicles with mechanical (as opposed to hydrostatic or electro-motive) transmissions), disconnecting the governor can be a useful upgrade.

Donald.