[Shop-talk] Drilling into a gas tank

Steve Shipley shiples at comcast.net
Wed Jun 3 14:36:16 MDT 2009

>Drilling by hand, I doubt you'll reach ignition temperature for gasoline
>anyway.  I've seen a cigarette put out in the stuff.  But a gallon or two of
>water wouldn't hurt anything, JIC.

It's not the gas, it's the gas and air that's dangerous.

As a child I remember throwing lighted matches into a bucket of gas.
They just go out.  A tank, part full of fuel is dangerous.  The tank needs
to be full of something that will keep any air/oxygen away from the
ignition source.  And when you get the plug drilled out, do I need to
remind you not to be smoking or sparking when the gas leaks out?