[Shop-talk] Painting Plastic/Bakelite

Jim Stone jandkstone99 at msn.com
Thu Mar 12 18:45:23 MST 2009

Thanks Guys.  I initially did the same thing as John (Googled "Painting
Bakelite") and got lots of hits, but none I wanted to follow up with.
I do have a compressor, but used spray cans to date.  Using a spray gun (or even a DIY aresol can) would allow me to mix it thinner, so that could be an option.  Testors is a really interesting idea (thanks Chad), but I wonder how
well it would weather?  Models are certainly not intended for outdoor
use.  Still, I just emailed Testors to see what they say and will
report back if it looks like a viable option.

That leaves the
Healey option, which I think might be the winner.  It certainly sounds like the easiest choice, and I don't think it would preclude spraying later if I wasn't happy with the results.  Roland, can you tell
me a little more about this?  I assume you use liquid shoe polish?
Right?  When people use India ink, how is it applied?  Brush?  Any
other tips you can provide?  Thanks.