[Shop-talk] What's better than helicoil?

Obaa obaa996 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 09:41:10 MST 2009

I've used timeserts in lieu of helicoils before.  They are a solid, threaded insert, rather than a coil of wire (helicoil).  The timeserts were used to repair a pulled headstud in a magnesium engine case (old Porsche engine), and were the recommended method over a helicoil.
My (very limited) understanding of the timeserts is that somehow the threading of the inserts help prevent the timesert from backing out (which a helicoil might do).  Also, they are a solid insert, and less likely to break than a helicoil, which is essentially a coiled wire.