[Shop-talk] pressure reducing valve

scott.hall at comcast.net scott.hall at comcast.net
Mon Mar 23 13:19:09 MST 2009

it's downstream of the tank, between the tank and the house input. it's a pressure reducing valve. I have a picture and I can post it to a sharing site, I guess, but it just looks like the bell-shaped jobby you see on the combo meter/prv on a municipal water system. googling them lists that they're mandated on municipal systems (with higher main pressures, no doubt). my tank pressure shouldn't ever get higher than 70 p.s.i. I suspect the original installer was just going belt-and-suspenders.

the one I just bought says it's for air and water systems.

I don't remember one on the old house (also with a well), and I was wondering if I needed to replace it at all, or can I just plumb a straight line where it was and let the tank pressure just go into the house.

or in this case do I just know enough to be dangerous and I should replace it?