[Shop-talk] Harbor freight air line

David Scheidt dmscheidt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 12:00:55 MDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Mullen, Tim (IS) <Tim.Mullen at ngc.com>wrote:

> It's kind of like cars.  We don't always need to drive around in
> Mercedes quality.  Chevy quality is just fine.  Sometimes Hyundai
> quality is all you need (Actually I really like our new Elantra).
> Harbor Freight is Chevy and Hyundai - although sometimes it's Yugo...

It's always Yugo: there's no quality control.  So if you get a good thing,
it's good.  And if you don't, it's crap.

several years ago, I bought three 4.5 angle grinders at the same time.  They
were on a blow out sale, and I was getting ready to do a bunch of welding,
and having different sorts of wheels ready to go is a huge time saver.   One
of them lasted about a day, probably 30 or 40 minutes actual use.  The
second survived the project, but eat its bearings a month or three later.
The third is still going fine.

this is still true of harbor frieght.  As far as I can tell, their quality
control is firing a supplier when too much stuff is returned.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt at gmail.com