[Shop-talk] Another Snow Blower Question

David Scheidt dmscheidt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 17:40:05 MST 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Greg Gelhar <ggelhar at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi, I'm from Minneapolis Minnesota and we are about to break our December
> snow fall record. B Today I broke a shear pin (bolt) on my 1971 Eska
> snowblower. To finish the job, I simply put in a bolt to replace that shear
> pin.
> I want to do it right and make a new pin. (The old one is lost in the five
> foot snow banks that line my driveway). Are there any rules of thumb as to
> how deep the grooves should be in the new pin? It should be a quick job on
> my lathe. I can't beleive that pin only lasted 39 years.

My  hardware store, and I bet any in Minnesota, has a pretty big
selection of them.
They cost about a buck a piece.  The ones I've been using have a pair
of groves cut in them, about a 1/16 thick.  Neither the original ones
(which are pins, held with cotter key) or the replacements, which are
threaded, have any grade makrings on them.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt at gmail.com