[Shop-talk] Tig Welder

bjshov8 at tx.rr.com bjshov8 at tx.rr.com
Thu May 5 10:16:46 MDT 2011

I think if a company has a branch in your state then your state can require them to collect income taxes.  For instance I can mail order from some companies without paying sales tax, but other companies that have warehouses in my state are required to collect tax.  CA (or maybe KA) has repeatedly tried to pass laws requiring collection of income tax for businesses with very minor business connections in the state, for instance if a company has an advertising relationship with a website based in KA, then KA can require them to collect sales tax.  So far these laws have not passed.  KA is thinking this will boost their tax collection, but what it would probably do is to sever relationships with these companies and reduce revenue collected by KA businesses, thus reducing KA's tax collections.