[Shop-talk] airplane tugger

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jul 4 10:51:50 MDT 2012

How much force do you need out of this thing?

There is a neat little DC transaxle thing that forms the basis for many of
the "mobility scooters".  24v DC motor, probably rated at 1/2 hp but I'm
guessing it will do several times that for short bursts.  Integral gear
drive and differential, usually also an electric brake.  If you can find one
on the surplus market (I've seen them for under $150), or maybe find a
damaged scooter for cheap (I got one at a yard sale for $70 that only had a
couple of bad switches), I'd think about using that instead of the winch &
belt drive.

-- Randall