[Shop-talk] airplane tugger

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Wed Jul 4 16:04:01 MDT 2012

If this is for a light plane on hard surface, something generally like this
(first Google hit - I don't know about this particular brand):
http://airtug.com/  can be built very simply and cheaply using a starter
motor (or a winch motor) and small pneumatic wheels, with a 12-volt car
battery for power.

These can be built in nosewheel or tailwheel-airplane configuration.  For a
tailwheel design, Google "Taildragger Dragger" - probably the oldest brand
out there, and they work.  Copy one of those and it'll serve you well.

If it's going onto grass, though, the problem gets much more difficult.  I
pull the Stearman (2500 lbs. more or less with full fuel and no crew) out
(when I'm too tired or lazy to just push it) with a 17-HP Craftsman lawn
tractor.  Problem is, it's only 2-wheel drive and even when I get it to not
spin one wheel, it can easily spin both at once.  For grass, it really needs
4-wheel drive.

If you would consider other options than a mobile unit,  I winch the plane
back in with a Horrible Freight 2,000 pouund ($49.95) winch and a car
battery - no problem at all.  I'm next planning to install a ground anchor
about 35 feet out in front of the hangar and clip a snatch block on there to
allow me to use the winch to pull the plane out as well.

Karl