[Shop-talk] Modifying a sea-container

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Sat Jul 14 20:23:57 MDT 2012

OK, I'm sure these things have lots of names, but I call them a "sea
container."  The big shipping containers that they use to move from ship
to train to truck.  (basically, they are the box container that all the
shipped items are loaded and stored in.)

OK, I have one of these as an additional shed on my property.  (I really
didn't need it, but I got it for free.)  Here is what I want to do.  I
want to add a ladder to the side so I can climb up top.  I want the ladder
secured to the side of the container.

Here is the problem, the container has a sticker on it that says to only
repair it with "corian" steel.  I have no idea what this is.

My question is...

Do I really need to worry about this?  Can I weld to it just like any
steel, or is there a reason that sticker is there.  (I'm sure that if the
container was still used for shipping, it would apply, but for a container
that is going to sit in a yard?)

Can I weld to it?

Is there anything I need to know about it?

(I didn't want to screw to the side of this container because I want it to
stay water tight.)

Thanks again!

Eric P
Waldo Emerson