[Shop-talk] which tie down best for car hauler

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Sat Jul 14 22:31:59 MDT 2012

I tow my 1955 MG Magnette using axle straps and ratcheting tiedown
straps.  By using the rear axle and the lower control arms, the body
is free to move up and down on the car's suspension.  I think that's
better.  If the car is tied down from the frame, then a big bump
might still compress the suspension, but then it's going to come back
up and slam against the straps.  Doesn't sound like a great idea to
me.  As for installing them, yes it is a pain.  I have to be careful
to avoid brake lines and parking brake cables on the rear axle.  In
your case, it might be less difficult if the truck is relatively high
off the ground.  I have considered the wheel basket straps and I
might still go that way some day.  It will require some additional
anchor points, though.  I am looking forward to hearing other peoples
suggestions.

-Steve Trovato
strovato at optonline.net