[Shop-talk] Modifying a sea-container

Todd Walke racertod at racertodd.com
Sun Jul 15 00:38:09 MDT 2012

Eric wrote:

>Here is the problem, the container has a sticker on it that says to only
>repair it with "corian" steel.  I have no idea what this is.

         The sticker is probably scratched up and it used to say "Cor-Ten"
steel.  Cor-Ten is a trademark of United States Steel for a type of
"weathering steel" and is used for shipping containers and other steel
items that'll be used outdoors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

         Looks like you need the correct wire/electrodes.  Your local
welding store can probably guide you to the correct stuff to use.
         Found this about welding on Cor-Ten steel:
<http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/showthread.php?16992-Cor-ten-steel-welding>

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 275,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       353,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff