[Shop-talk] Dehumidifier suddenly freezing up

Mullen elans4 at cox.net
Sun Jul 15 09:09:06 MDT 2012

Randall wrote:

>> a system that has already leaked down has nothing to recover.
>
> Not if it can still frost part of the condenser.

If it can still frost the condenser, then it is holding a charge.  No seals
or hoses to leak, so the charge is still in there.  Only a hole is going to
cause a leak and then it all leaks so there is nothing to recover.  The
problem is elsewhere.

> The chances of getting caught are much lower working for
> yourself, but I don't see anything that makes it legal.

It's illegal to  vent a charged system.  But a system that has leaked
everything out has nothing to vent or recycle.  Repairing that does not
require recycling equipment.

Again, I suspect that the problem with the dehumidifier is other than the
Freon system.  A bad thermostat, dirty fins on the condenser, etc.

Tim Mullen