[Shop-talk] which tie down best for car hauler

Mullen elans4 at cox.net
Sun Jul 15 19:35:59 MDT 2012

David Hillman wrote:

> a few times does not have attachment points on the
> chassis, so tying to the wheels is the only option,
> and you can feel the difference.

Isn't tying it to the wheels essentially the same as using a tire "boot".
The car is still free to move on its suspension.  Many cars don't have tie
down hooks (although most imported ones do).  Some cars (like my Elise) have
a fragile chassis that you could easily bend by wrapping straps around the
a-arms, or chassis.  The factory ships them across the ocean with "boots",
since there are no tie down hooks or anyplace else to attach to.

The only time I've even known someone who preferred to tie down the chassis
was an old buddy with a formula race car.  The shocks were way too expensive
(and hard to get) to let it bounce around on the suspension.

Tim Mullen