[Shop-talk] Volvo Engine Swap

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Mon Jul 16 08:39:41 MDT 2012

In the initial post, he said his brother had the broken timing belt
replaced but that "didn't do the trick."  I think from this we can
conclude that either it is an interference engine and more damage was
done, or someone made a stupid mistake.  With the belt replaced, I
would do a compression or leakdown test.  I would also seek out
expertise on that particular engine.  I would say that on many
interference engines, bent valves is the worst outcome.  If there
isn't a particular known greater risk with this motor, then
replacing/rebuilding the head sounds like a reasonable move.  Of
course with the head removed, the pistons can be checked for obvious
damage.  At this point, you haven't invested anything except the
labor removing the head.

-Steve Trovato
strovato at optonline.net