[Shop-talk] which tie down best for car hauler

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Mon Jul 16 19:04:04 MDT 2012

My decision is not based on the shocks at all.  If I tow the car 500
miles, I can't see how the shocks will be worn any more than driving
it 500 miles.  And for my situation, that's just not that
important.  My concern is that if tied by the chassis, the suspension
can still compress, momentarily slackening the straps.  Then the car
comes back up and slams against the straps.  That just doesn't sound
good for the car or the straps.  As for the safety issue, I haven't
done a comparison, but I have never felt any handling effect.  Maybe
it's because I'm towing with a large vehicle and the car on the
trailer is relatively light.

-Steve Trovato
strovato at optonline.net