[Shop-talk] which tie down best for car hauler

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Tue Jul 17 11:25:42 MDT 2012

> There seem to be two different schools of thought on shocks. One says
> they wear excessively while the towed car bounces around on the
> trailer.

Nonsense.  The cycles they go through are much more gentle than what the car sees racing.

> The other says they wear excessively being put under load when the
> chassis
> is tied down.

Shocks should not be moving at all when the chassis is tied down.  Springs might get some sag from being under pressure, but I can't believe its measurable.

I tie down to E-track with straps over the tires.  I have a lot of flexibility on different cars, as the ratchet runs horizontal, parallel to the E-track via a strap idler pulley.

The E-track is held down to my enclosed Pace American's three-plywoods-thick floor by hundreds of 1/4-20 Grade 5 bolts, Nyloc nuts and 2" fender washers.

For the Stag and any other narrow-track car, I have basket straps with idlers and custom-shortened cross straps.  Ends are swivel hooks, which mate to heavy-duty O-rings.

For the Elise and any other wider car with wider tires, I have straight straps with idlers and those rubber blocks bearing tire-groove fins.  Ends are dedicated horizontal E-track.

The only issue I have had is that I got my Race Ramps too close to the rear of the Elise, and the diffuser chopped a slot in the foam ramp.  Lesson learned, black race tape to the rescue.

1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
pethier [at] comcast [dot] net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier