[Shop-talk] Lubricheck

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Mon Jul 23 10:49:47 MDT 2012

That makes great sense.

I guess I was thinking that this would be a great tool for when you are
thinking about buying a car (or mower, or other engine.)  If it worked, it
would be a quick way to tell if the owner took care of it.

So the question then is, could it work for that?

Eric P
Waldo Emerson

"Karl Vacek" <kvacek at ameritech.net>
Sent by: shop-talk-bounces at autox.team.net
07/23/2012 12:43 PM
Please respond to
KVacek at Ameritech.net

<shop-talk at autox.team.net>
cc

Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] Lubricheck

Amen.  On the cars, I do 3,000-mile (or annual on the MG and Model T) oil
changes, despite running synthetic in the Mustang and Yukon.  I doubt that
this would show that the oil I'm throwing out is bad.

I change the Stearman's oil (4-1/2 gallons at a time) based on running
time
and season.  Because of seasonal changes, I seldom approach the very
conservative 25-hour spec that applies but was set in the 1930's, but
still
send samples to Blackstone every time.  They send more than a full sheet
of
data, which I correlate to my recent maintenance and use/storage pattern
make sure it looks right.

A simple good/sorta good/bad display doesn't tell you much about the
identity of various particulates, like how much iron, tin, lead, aluminum,
zinc, carbon, etc., so it's NOT a substitute for actual oil analysis.  Is
it
better than not testing at all?  Maybe, but I don't want to wait to change
oil till I see a "bad" reading.

Karl