[Shop-talk] Trailer axles

Jim Franklin jamesf at groupwbench.org
Sat Jul 28 08:42:44 MDT 2012

I finally dragged my sagged out Pace 4x8 enclosed trailer to the axle place.
They said a replacement Torflex is about $300, a spring axle about $150, but
labor is $600 (the exiisting axle is welded in.). So to replace it I'm at
almost half the cost of the trailer, which is in pretty good shape still.

Is there much difference between Torflex and spring axle? I carry everything
from small furniture to too many sheets of drywall. One thing I can't see how
to get around with a spring axle, is that the existing Torflex has a 22.5
degree upwards articulation, so the floor is nice and low. Seems like a spring
would raise things quite a bit unless there's trickery I don't know about.

thanks,