[Shop-talk] Exterior nighttime surveillance cameras?

Scott scott.hall.personal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 21:08:17 MDT 2012

My old office had night vision cameras. They were very, very expensive.
Given that office manager's ability to spend way too much money and get
virtually nothing, I'm not sure if they were good cameras. The vendor
said they were the best, but he needed to keep telling the Emperor she
had nice clothes.

Having said all that, you couldn't see jack on those cameras at night.
You could see *shapes*, and maybe some detail if they were very close,
but there's no way you could identify anything. Certainly not a license
plate, even if it was still.

People here build brick mailboxes. A while back, someone went around
pushing them over. I've seen a couple being rebuilt with poles in them.
One was using what looked like a telephone pole, one used what looked
like several chain-link fence poles, and there was an auger out there
one day, so I assume they're sunk pretty deep.

I think if I had concerns, I'd find a telephone pole and sink it maybe
six feet deep. It's real easy to identify a hoodlum as the ambulance is
carrying them off and you can take their i.d. from their wallet after
their pants are cut off them.

Scott
(Getting more and more curmudgeonly by the day, it seems)