[Shop-talk] Removing a small hot water radiator

John P. New jnew at hazelden.ca
Wed Mar 14 11:27:46 MDT 2012

Jim,

I have a large hot water radiator system (about 40 radiators) in my home, and I have removed and replaced a single radiator many times without draining the entire system.

First, shut off the boiler, the supply water to the system and the recirculating pump. Go to the lowest point on your system that has a drain valve. In my system, and I think normally, this is at the boiler. Open the drain valve and start draining the water. At the same time, occasionally open the bleed valve on the radiator to be removed to see if there is still water pressure at that radiator. If there is, close the bleed valve and wait a bit, and then open the bleed valve again. At some point, the bleed valve will start sucking air. Leave the bleed valve open until the radiator is empty of water. At this point, close the main drain valve at the boiler.

How will you know when the rad is drained? When the water noises in the rad stop, it's a safe bet that it's empty. After you close the main drain valve, partially undo the pipe connections to the rad to make sure it's really empty. If no or very little water comes out, it should be safe to remove the radiator. Put notes on the system supply water, the boiler control and the circulating pump not to turn any of them on until the rad is put back!

Make sure you have plenty of old towels on hand to catch any rad water _before_ it spills; old systems with cast iron radiators can have some very nasty black water that stains everything from fabrics to tile and marble.

Hope that helps.

John