[Shop-talk] engine diagnostics

Wayne wmc_st at xxiii.com
Tue Nov 6 07:39:32 MST 2012

On 11/6/2012 8:51 AM, Matt wrote:
> can get basic code readers out of Asia for under $30, the growth of software
> in automotive function and control reveals that there is a whole lot more
> going on than what basic trouble codes reveal.  I think the answer will be
> (is) an OBD to USB cable and instead of a dedicated reader, the secret sauce

Yeah, putting it in software seems like it should make it easy & cheap. Know of any? There were a bunch of free-ware ones for my old pre-OBDII Nissans. Surprised there seem to be none for new stuff (but I haven't looked very hard.)

> That is what I had to get for my VWs and it is called VAG-COM.

Setting new standards in ease of communication with otherwise difficult to comprehend females! :)

-Wayne