[Shop-talk] tie rods

ejrussell at mebtel.net ejrussell at mebtel.net
Sat Sep 29 12:45:34 MDT 2012

Quoting Tim <tputland at charter.net>:
> Is there a trick to getting a new tie rod into the adjustment sleeve? I
> cannot, for the life of me, get the new tie rod end to start threading
> straight. It goes crooked on the first turn, everytime time.

You likely need to 'chase' the threads. Once cross-threaded it will
tend to follow that thread each time you try to assemble it (and get
worse each time, too). Best would be to get a re-threading tap/die -
less chance of cutting new (incorrect) threads.

This is assuming the new part has the correct threads. Will the old tie
rod thread back on OK?

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC