[Shop-talk] 'T-nuts' source

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Apr 3 16:44:04 MDT 2014

---- Eric J Russell <ejrussell at mebtel.net> wrote:
> McMaster-Carr has them. I don't know if their shipping is more reasonable
> than Amazon's.

Their shipping has always seemed reasonable to me, but I live just a few miles from their west coast warehouse.  Unlike Amazon, they charge shipping only for the entire order, not by item, so it gets a lot cheaper per item if you can find a few other things you need.

Or I see MMC has a warehouse in Jersey.  Might be that Inch or a friend would be in the area and could pick them up at Will Call.  I do that a lot just so I can get things within a few hours (typically less than two hours from order to pickup); can't really save much with the price of gasoline over having them shipped.

Another option might be to just make your own.  Not hard at all if they don't have to be hardened.  For the drill press, I didn't even make them 'T' shaped, just cut some slabs off of a square bar after drilling and tapping a hole up the middle.  They don't slide as easily, since they ride against an "as case" surface, but work well enough for bolting down the vice.

Randall