[Shop-talk] Supplier of common items

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Apr 14 08:41:57 MDT 2014

> Since this list has been pretty quiet, let me throw something
> out there...
> Where do most of you get your 'common' vehicle items from?
> I'm talking
> about spark plugs, filters, etc?
>
> Do you get it from the local AP store, online, or someplace
> like Walmart?

Depends on what I need, and how quickly I need it.  If I want it now or need some help, I'll stop by my favorite independent FLAPS.
For common oil and antifreeze, I wait for it to go on sale at AutoZone or O'Reillys.  (Eg, AutoZone currently has Valvoline VR1 on
sale for $4/qt, so I bought a dozen Friday.)  Otherwise, I usually order on-line.  Rockauto frequently has the best prices on hard
parts (but watch out for shipping charges, they'll charge double if one part is in a near warehouse and the other in a far
warehouse, even if the far warehouse also has the part.)  Amazon and Summit frequently do well, too (if they have it).

Wal-Mart so rarely has what I want any more that I don't much bother going there unless everyplace closer is closed.  Probably
varies by store, but the automotive department in the local stores seems to keep getting smaller and smaller and stocked only with
brands I won't buy and parts that don't fit my cars.

Randall