[Shop-talk] Need help with dead 2000 GMC 1500 (5.8 Vortec) (couple of dusies!)

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Tue Apr 29 06:50:07 MDT 2014

Last night, my BIL's truck died while he was at my house.

Traced the issue to no fuel flow.  (I even put gas in the tank in case
that was it.)

I put a new fuel filter in.  While I had the old one off, I had him crank
the truck.  I expected to see gas squirting from the line, but nothing.

I think, OK, it's a fuel pump.  BUT and here is the issue.

In many places on the web, they say that the security system can disable
the fuel pump and many times people replace the pump when they don't need
to.

I've tried the steps to 'override' the security system, but it doesn't
seem to work.

1- So, is there anything I can try before I drop the tank and $280 for the
new fuel pump?  Any more tests?

2- I may just cut the floor of the bed to make an access panel to the fuel
pump without dropping the tank (lots of rust under there.)  Any problems
with this idea?  (I'll use shears.)

3-Is there anything else I'm missing?

THANKS IN ADVANCE. This truck is stuck in my garage until it's fixed, so
the quicker I can get it running the quicker I can get back to my
projects!

Thanks.

Eric P
Waldo Emerson