[Shop-talk] Coolant in Oil - GM 3.1L

watsonm05 at comcast.net watsonm05 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 22 12:03:49 MST 2014

Folks,
Good news - I successfully finished replacing the lower intake manifold gasket
on my '95 Buick Century 3.1L engine.B  So far I've driven it ~40 miles with no
issues.B  Oil change planned @75miles.
Thanks to allB who replied and special thanks to David Scheidt for his very
helpful detailed suggestions and Joe Szwed for his good luck story.
In case anyone is interested here's the break-down:
Minimum parts:
Gasket set (Felpro) B $72
Intake manifold bolts $24
------B Sub-Total ----- : $96
While I'm here I might as well replace these because it'll never be this easy
again parts:
Heater Hoses & clamps:B B B B B B B B B B B B B  B $51
Serp belt & plugs/wires:B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B  $56
PCV
Valve:B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B
 B B  $4
Antifreeze & lots of oil & 2 filters:B $70
-----------B Sub-Total -------------- :B  $180
-----------B Grand-Total -------------- : $275 (might not add up - I rounded
sloppily)
>From trolling around the web to get an idea of what it would have cost for
this job I've found from $700 - $1200.B  Looks like I save at least $500 by
doing it myself and the satisfaction of a job well done.B  With luck I hope to
get many more years & miles out of her.B  I'll probably be driving this to
work only which is ~7k miles/year.B  If I can get 10 more years (70k miles)
out of it I might be able to retire without having to replace it.
Next project: put a new timing belt on my daughter's '04 Chevy Aveo - this
isB her big Christmas gift this year.B  The reality of car ownership is
certainly teaching her good life lessons.
Again, thanks to all.
Mark Watson
1956 Daimler (long term resto)
1965 Ford Falcon (getting back on road after trans replacement)
various transportation pods (including this one ;-)