[Shop-talk] 7018 puddle

Dave Cavanaugh cavanadd at frontier.com
Thu Oct 8 20:32:34 MDT 2015

Normally I weld with 6010 or 6013, and you don't have any trouble seeing
the puddle with those rods.  I was practicing with some 1/8" 7018 today,
and I was having a lot of trouble seeing the puddle because it seems the
rod burns up into the flux coating, and the heavy flux makes it
difficult to watch the puddle.  I think the other problem was I was
running too cold.  I normally start 6010 and 6013 at around 100 amps for
1/8" rod, but I think I need to crank it up to 120 or so with 7018.

Any tips on using 7018?