[Shop-talk] Enclosed car trailer (random thoughts)

David Hillman hillman at planet-torque.com
Wed Sep 9 14:59:03 MDT 2015

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015, Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA wrote:
> Here?s what I?ve learned:

    Since we're on the topic; two simple little things that make hauling
cars much easier for me.  Both came on my current trailer, but I will
install them on my next x trailers.

    Tie-down hangers.  Just two little pieces of aluminum angle, with a few
holes drilled in one leg, mounted to the top of the walls roughly above
each floor d-ring.  Unhook the tie-down from the car, and hang that end on
the up on the wall.  The opposite end always stay hooked to the d-rings,
but out of the way.  I can drive in and be securely tied-down in under a
minute, if necessary.

    Floor-level wall-mounted E-track.  Mine goes the entire trailer length,
but really the handiest bit is between the human door and the wheel wells.
Here I keep two E-track beam pockets, and a 2x4 spanning the width of the
trailer.  Drive in 'til the front wheels hit the 2x4, and you're good.  No
fussing around with positioning the car.  Hook the front tie-downs and
pull the car against the 2x4, then attach the rears.  Not moving from the
same spot every time.  Also doubles as an anchor point when using a
come-along to trailer a dead racecar ( I could buy a winch, but some
people pay good money for that workout ;) )

    Two more things I'll never be without.

--
  David Hillman