[Shop-talk] Starting a boiler

Scott Hall scott.hall.personal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 18:13:48 MST 2016

New house has hot-water radiant heat. It was on when I looked at the house
last winter.

It's going to get into the teens here this weekend, so I thought I'd like
to use it.

I have no idea how to start a boiler.

I've done what the interwebs said for bleeding the radiators (except for
one--I bought the smallest vent key ACE had and it's too big for all the
radiators and too-big-enough for one of them such that it won't turn the
vent) and they've got water in them.

I don't know how to make the water hot. The boiler is a big square box in
the basement. It's got a gas line running to it. That gas line connects to
a control box that has water-heater-looking controls on it--the twist
on/off/pilot knob, and a copper line that I think is the pilot. Those go
into the box, and there's no way I can see to light the pilot with a flame,
but I don't see a piezo-electric sparker on it either. And pushing the
pilot knob down does not produce a whoosing sound I associate with flowing
gas.

None of the HVAC people I called seemed very interested in coming out to
light a boiler, which is just as well since I want to learn how to work
this myself.

Anybody got any ideas on where to start?

Thanks.

Scott