[Shop-talk] chains vs snow tires

Eric J Russell ejrussell at mebtel.net
Tue Jan 19 09:43:45 MST 2016

We get the occasional snow/ice storm here in NC. NC doesn't plow/sand much - they just wait for it to melt a day or two later. However, being an ER nurse, I have to drive in it before Mother Nature takes care of it. I have an F250, rear wheel drive with LSD. I can usually get around with its "all season' tires. But when we get ice covered with snow it gets very difficult. I do keep a few bags of sand in the bed.

I am considering either real snow tires (I doubt studs are available or allowed) *or* chains.
http://www.etrailer.com/chains-1999_Ford_F-250+and+F-350+Super+Duty.htm?furl=-c2-235%7C85~16

What say ye, learned shop-talkers?

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC