[Shop-talk] tubing bender dies

Brad Kahler bkahler1 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 06:00:46 MDT 2016

I was given one of these tubing benders from Harbor Freight.  By
design it bends flat stock rather well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/compact-bender-38470.html

I now have a need to bend some 5/8" diameter OD 1/16" wall tubing.
I've been shopping around for dies but the prices I'm finding are
fairly high for a one time need to make a couple of bends.

I've got a nice 13" South Bend lathe so I'm thinking I should be able
to fabricate the dies myself.  Would a material like Delrin would be
suitable for the dies?

Assuming I do decide to try and turn the dies myself I would also need
to figure out how to grind the cutting tool to shape the curve.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to accomplish this task.

Thanks!

Brad