[Shop-talk] It's raining compressors

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:45:13 MDT 2016

One thing to watch out for is how the pump is mounted to the top of the
tank.  Mine is mounted on rubber vibration idolators that are designed to
work in the vertical direction, not horizontal.  When I tried to lay mine
on it's side, it was putting too much stress on the line form the
compressor output to the tank.  I decided to just unbolt the compressor to
move it.  You also need to know if your compressor is oiled or not.  An oil
free compressor can tolerate being laid on it's side just fine, but some
oiled compressor pumps might not like this.  If it does have an oil
resivior, it might be best to drain it before you lay it on it's side, then
fill it with fresh oil when you get where you are going.

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 12:16 PM, <eric at megageek.com> wrote:

> So I ordered my new compressor yesterday.  Later that night, a buddy told
> me he needed to get a air compressor out of a friend's house where it has
> been sitting for a few years.  It was never used, but he bought it new.
>
> My question, can I transport a vertical tank compressor on it's side?  I
> want to help move it, but is there any reason I can't lay it down in a
> truck (we can't lift it in the truck.)
>
> Just asking.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
> Eric P
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson

= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =