[Shop-talk] Adding timer to appliances/dehumidifier

PJ McGarvey pj_mcgarvey at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 8 08:09:59 MDT 2016

Curious if there is a way to add a timer on an appliance like a dehumidifier. I really don't need the dehumidifier to run all day long like it currently does, and trying to save a few bucks and have it run overnight or a few times a day.

The dehumidifier doesn't have this feature, and has a power on/off button that must be pressed to turn it back on if power is cut or it's turned off. So I can't just put it on a regular timer like a light switch. I could setup the timer to cut power, but when it calls for power again, it would not turn on.

Perhaps opening it up and bypassing the power switch would work, though I'm wondering if dehumidifiers need a "soft start" type of power switch in order to prevent any damage if powered on suddenly. It's also under an extended warranty so I'm hesitant to "mod" it and void the warranty.

Thanks