[Shop-talk] Solenoid question

Matt mbarre at juno.com
Sun Sep 25 11:08:46 MDT 2016

 I have been resurrecting a jet ski this summer and rather than wear down the tiny battery, I was doing most of the cranking with power from my 12 volt battery charger/starter set to the starting/225A setting.  It really turned it over much better than the puny battery.  Well, after a few days, the solenoid crapped out, so I scavenged one from another junked ski and all was fine.  Recently I was to the point of a shake down cruise and I find another dead solenoid.  I guess it is possible that both old solenoids just happened to be at the end of their life but I wonder is there some reason that starting from a powered source rather then a battery would be detrimental to the relay/solenoid? The good news is that rather than pay the $70 the local watercraft dealer wanted, I googled the PN stamped on the failed solenoid and found replacements on amazon & ebay for $6!  So now I have several new ones but don't want to kill them if the start cart is a bad idea. TIA!