[Shop-talk] battery revival

Dave dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Jun 23 06:20:48 MDT 2017

RIP.  :-(

The way a battery works is that the acid etches lead from one plate and deposits it on the other.  Current capacity is a function of plate area.  In order to get high CCA ratings without making the battery e-gantic (or is that gi-normus?) is to make the plates very thin.  so thin that they are supported by a fiberglass mat.  When a battery is discharged lead is etched from one plate and if the discharge is deep enough there will be no lead left in some areas.  Once these voids develop they never fill back in and current capacity is reduced.  Do this enough and there will be little enough plate area on at least one cell to render the battery useless.

I would think that a deep-discharge style battery would be a better choice for this application.  These have thicker plates and tolerate deeper discharge cycles better than cranking batteries.  They do cost more, however, but the penalty is not great.

Dave Massey