[Shop-talk] New trailer decision (Need input)

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Thu Aug 30 05:18:19 MDT 2018

Well, I'm pulling the trigger on a new trailer.

I was looking at a 18' or 20' trailer.

Here are the 3 choices.

'over axle' trailer---
http://www.bri-mar.com/trailers/eh818-10le-equipment/
pure car trailer----
http://www.bri-mar.com/trailers/ch18-7-full-car-hauler/
flatbed trailer---  http://www.bri-mar.com/trailers/eh18-10ele-equipment/
The link isn't the exact trailer I was looking at, but similar to.

All at least 10K LBG, dual axle, w/brakes, All are in my price range.

The over axle offers 8' wide (with no side barriers), but has a higher
heavier overall weight

The car trailer is nice, but seems to be a little limited, has removable
fenders (is this a real advantage?)  and the highest price tag

The flatbed trailer seems to be the best price, and size, but still has
the width restriction.

I need it for a 8500 lbs tractor/backhoe (this is my biggest piece of
equipment and I will most likely NOT be moving it much, if ever.)
I have a smaller 3500 lbs tractor that will be moved the most.
I am the 'AAA' of my friends.  they call me when they are broken down, so
I need to haul cars and trucks.

I also move other odd objects from time to time (sheds, lots of fluid
containers, etc.)

So, does anyone have any input on what to consider?

Can most cars clear a higher bobtail frame?  Should I look at tiltbeds?

BTW, I currently pull with a 3500 mason dump, but i plan to replace that
soon with another 250 or 350 truck.
I was hoping to find something I could also pull with an SUV empty or with
just a light load.  IF possible.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
Waldo Emerson