[Shop-talk] New trailer decision (Need input)

Paul Parkanzky parkanzky at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 08:31:48 MDT 2018

Apologies in advance. Lots of numbers below:

None of those will handle your 8500# tractor/backhoe load.

The car hauler you linked is 7k# gross weight and weighs over 2k#
empty, leaving less than 5k# for the load.

The two 10k# trailers don't fair much better, although the low-pro
equipment trailer gets you close with a theoretical ~7900# load limit.

Another issue is that (in my experience) the trailer won't weigh the
advertised weight because they underestimate and then you'll add
options (a spare tire on a carrier, a tongue box full of straps and
other gear, etc.) so your 2100# trailer will end up weighing ~2300#,
leaving you ~7700# capacity if you have a pair of 5k# axles.

I went through a very similar exercise and quickly realized that I
needed a 14k# gross weight trailer. I ended up with a 20' (Trust me
you won't wish it was shorter!) "low-profile, tilt-bed equipment
trailer." It weighs around 4000# empty, leaving me with 10k# of
useable load limit. The tilt-bed is easy to load and low-profile with
a knife-edge makes it work just as well for lowered cars as it did for
my compact tractor. I like having the fixed 4' at the front because I
could use my forks to load a couple of pallets or whatever onto the
front section and have that stuff secured independent of tilting the
deck for other loading/unloading.

Here's mine. I'm sure your chosen brand will make similar:

https://loadtrail.com/index.php/trailers/tilt-decks/details/?model=TL14&&desc=%2ANEW%2A+Low-Profile+Tandem+Axle+Tilt+Deck+14%2C000+Lb+6%22+Channel+Frame&&title=Tilt%20Decks

I'm very happy with it, although I do worry that it will blow your budget.

As for towing with an SUV, I quickly figured out that any trailer
beefy enough to give me the capabilities I wanted would be too heavy
to pull around with most SUVs if they had anything of consequence on
them. My friends can pull my trailer with their 1/2-ton trucks as long
as they're not trying to move much, but the usual solution is to loan
them the truck and trailer as a package.

Happy Hunting,

-Paul