[Shop-talk] Drilling through a spark plug to make a christmas ornament?

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 06:42:31 MST 2018

I have done this, but only in the context of removing a broken plug from
the head.  In my case the hex head broke off of the metal body.  I had to
get the insulator out to remove the broken plug.  That was easier than I
expected, but the insulator was broken in the process and what was left
didn't look much like a spark plug.  I think if I was going to do this I
would remove the insulator and then make a fake replacement insulator to
hold the light.  could be made from a dowel painter white, or a bit of soda
straw, or if you know someone who has a 3d printer they could make a really
nice bulb holder to fit in there.  I've got a few old plugs lying around.
I might try this just for fun this weekend...

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 7:05 AM Jim Franklin via Shop-talk <
shop-talk at autox.team.net> wrote:

> While lying awake at 0-dark:30 I had an idea of turning old spark plugs
> into ornaments by inserting blinking lights in them. I thought for sure it
> would have been done but I can't find anything out there in Internet land.
> Is it possible to pull out the center electrode with hand tools and a vise?
>
> thanks,
> jim

= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =