[Shop-talk] Differential drain plug

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 08:16:14 MST 2018

Are you using an 8-point socket.  I have had great success using these on
rounded off square plugs.  I have also found the smoke wrench to be useful
in this situation.  Even on heavy cast iron diffs.  They take a while to
heat up, but they hold heat a lot longer, so you don't have to work too
fast.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 8:16 AM, Robert Nogueira <nogera at me.com> wrote:

> The drain plug (pipe thread)on my differential is frozen in place and the
> square stem ( used to undo the plug )is starting to round off.
> Any suggestions on getting it to break loose? Is the mass of the axle too
> large for heat to be effective?
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Bob Nogueira ( wondering how something totally soaked in oil freezes up)

= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =