[Shop-talk] home grown tyre removal

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jan 26 00:50:56 MST 2018

> Need to remove some old tyres (30+ years potentially) from some stock
> Datsun steelies. I'd rather not have to pay someone to do this. We don't
> have the machine needed.
>
> Is there a relatively easy way to remove old dry rotted tyres without the
> correct equipment and also without damaging the steelies?

It can be done, with lots of effort, using pry bars and hammers, etc.  Lay a
section of 2x4 radially outwards and drive something heavy onto it to break
the bead.  When you pry the bead on one side over the edge of the rim, be
sure to push down the other side so it can drop into the depression in the
center of the rim.

But it's substantially easier IMO with one of these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/Manual-Tire-Changer-69686.html

I bought one for myself a lot of years ago, and while certainly not perfect,
it's held up reasonably well for occasional removal and installation.  Still
lots of work; but significantly easier than fighting with tire irons, etc.
I've even mounted 205/55 tires onto some old alloy aftermarket 240Z wheels.
Removed them too, when I learned the offset was just enough different to
keep that tire/wheel combo from fitting on my TR3.

IIRC I modified the bead breaker with reinforcements and another pair of
pivot holes to fit my 15" Triumph rims.  And once the threaded insert in the
top broke loose from the pipe (fixed by drilling and tapping 4 holes for
short bolts to lock it in place).

Works best when bolted to something solid, so I put some lead anchors in the
garage floor and drove big lag bolts into them.  That way I can remove the
lag bolts afterwards and store the machine in the corner.  (I even rigged a
small pouch to hold the bolts for next time.)  But others have reported just
bolting it to plywood and standing on the wood.

Another thought: Check with your local Wal-mart tire center.  Their charge
for just removing tires was very minimal as I recall, something like $2 each
if I took the tires away afterwards.

-- Randall